Ohio’s Healthcare Mission: Embrace Innovation, Improve Care For All
Researchers, thought leaders and entrepreneurs are triggering breakthroughs and improving quality of life for patients worldwide.
Ohio’s healthcare ecosystem has long commanded worldwide attention for the innovative treatments developed in fields such as heart disease, cancer and pediatrics. In recent years, the state’s healthcare engine has accelerated dramatically. Researchers, care providers, entrepreneurs and investors have built momentum that is driving a collective mission: to trigger remarkable breakthroughs, treat hundreds of diseases and improve the quality of life of patients around the world.
Innovations in gene therapy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, cardiac care at the Cleveland Clinic and pediatric care at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital are contributing to a sector that is attracting world-class researchers, entrepreneurs and investors. Cutting edge medical device and health-tech companies are emerging in Ohio while international companies are choosing to expand in the state to develop and commercialize healthcare solutions.
Ohio’s healthcare ecosystem:
- Consists of more than 4,100 bioscience companies
- Features a growing talent pool of about 80,000 bioscience employees, excluding healthcare providers
- Is attracting a growing number of bioscience students from Ohio schools, with more than 10,000 graduates in 2017, a 30 percent increase from 2010 levels
- Attracted $562 million in capital investments, second in the Midwest, in 2018, according to the BioEnterprise Midwest Capital report
- Led all Midwest states with 121 biomedical companies receiving investments in 2018. Ohio’s total was 28 percent of all Midwest companies
- Includes 14 top-ranked hospital systems in the country, according to U.S. News & World Report. Among the top-ranked systems are:
- Cleveland Clinic, #2 General Hospital
- Cincinnati Children’s, #2 Children’s Hospital
- Nationwide Children’s, #7 Children’s Hospital
Expediting the commercialization of innovative ideas requires entrepreneurial spirit, capital, talent and commitment. Ohio’s healthcare sector excels in all four areas, making the state one of the world’s top locations for biomedical innovation.