The northeast region continues to receive national recognition for its economic revitalization, as it builds upon its traditional manufacturing strengths to become a hub of emerging technologies, biomedicine and other growth industries.
The 18-county northeast region includes:
- 4.3 million residents
- 2 million workers
- $236 billion economy
- Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Youngstown metropolitan areas
- Advanced manufacturing
- Specialty chemicals
- Headquarters and professional services
- Northeast Ohio has a strong history of innovation and traditional manufacturing. We’ve built on that tradition to become a center of innovation with emerging technologies such as additive manufacturing, smart devices and systems (IoT) and energy storage. These technologies help spur growth across our driver industries: advanced manufacturing, automotive, energy, specialty chemicals, biohealth and headquarter/professional services.
- Northeast Ohio is home to more than 600 foreign-owned companies and boasts the only direct containerized cargo service from the Great Lakes to Europe, translating into speed to market and cost savings for shippers.
- $20 billion in development from 2009 to 2016 spanned business investments, transportation infrastructure, higher education, healthcare, hotels, and entertainment and cultural projects.
- 21 Fortune 1000 companies are headquartered in the region. Northeast Ohio has the second-heaviest concentration of headquarters employment among major metros.
- Known as “The Medical Capital,” Northeast Ohio is a $8.6 billion healthcare industry with 700 companies, including the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. Cleveland has been named a top 10 location for medical innovation by Qmed, in part because of its numerous supply chain assets in diagnostic devices, contract manufacturers and telemedicine, among other areas. In the software and services area, companies such as IBM Explorys and Hyland Software are dedicated to using information to improve healthcare delivery.
For more information, visit Team NEO.