The Cures of Tomorrow Start in Ohio
Cutting-edge research, investment and commercialization in Ohio drive a unique gene therapy ecosystem
Anchored by the Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital and The Ohio State University, both in Columbus, the state of Ohio has become fertile ground for the rapidly evolving gene therapy industry. World-class researchers, high-tech facilities and a growing investor base fuel an ecosystem that is creating startups and attracting both entrepreneurs and international investment to highly regarded healthcare hubs built around the Cleveland Clinic in Northeast Ohio, Cincinnati Children's hospital in Southwest Ohio, and Columbus. As a result, Ohio’s rapidly evolving gene therapy sector is attracting global attention as it commercializes the cures of the future.
Consider the following aspects of Ohio’s growing gene therapy ecosystem:
- Nearly $10 billion of investment in gene therapy startups spinning out of Nationwide Children’s Hospital since 2018
- Ohio is tied for 4th among states in number of identified gene therapy startups and companies.
- Its hospitals have some of the most advanced research and development facilities in the nation and attract top researchers from around the world.
- The ecosystem attracts established companies from across the country. Sarepta and Abeona Therapeutics are investing in Ohio; Novartis and Amicus acquired companies created in Ohio.
- The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital is one of the top 10 National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded freestanding pediatric research facilities in the U.S.
- Academic research partnerships with large organizations such as Nationwide Children’s and The Ohio State University or Cincinnati Children’s and the University of Cincinnati. These relationships build the talent pipeline in Ohio to support the state’s growing gene therapy sector.
- A maturing research infrastructure in gene therapy developed over two decades that includes the nationally-renowned Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. The Institute has vertically integrated early stage gene therapy R&D capability.
- A relatively low cost of living and high quality of life.
Ohio’s gene therapy ecosystem is generating momentum in a swiftly growing sector. Wherever your dream is on the journey to commercialization, Ohio’s gene therapy assets can accelerate your growth.