Ohio’s healthcare mission: embrace innovation, improve care for all
Researchers, entrepreneurs and care professionals are triggering breakthroughs that enhance quality of life for patients worldwide.
Ohio’s healthcare industry has commanded worldwide attention for the innovative treatments developed in fields including heart disease, cancer and pediatrics. Researchers, care providers, entrepreneurs, investors, and health system executives have built momentum that is driving a collective mission: to trigger remarkable breakthroughs, treat hundreds of diseases and improve the quality of life of patients worldwide.
National Institutes of Health Awards
in Exits (Acquisitions, Licensing and Public Offering)
National Science Foundation Awards
Innovations in gene therapy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, cardiac care at the Cleveland Clinic and pediatric care at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital are contributing to a sector that is attracting world-class researchers, entrepreneurs and investors. Cutting edge medical devices and health-tech companies are emerging in Ohio while international companies are choosing to expand in the state to develop and commercialize healthcare solutions.
Ohio’s healthcare industry:
- Consists of more than 4,100 bioscience companies.
- Features a growing talent pool of about 80,000 bioscience employees, excluding healthcare providers.
- Is attracting a growing number of bioscience students from Ohio schools, with more than 10,000 graduates in 2017, a 30% increase from 2010 levels.
- Attracted $562 million in capital investments (second in the Midwest) in 2018, according to the BioEnterprise Midwest Capital report.
- Led all Midwest states with 121 biomedical companies receiving investments in 2018. Ohio’s total was 28% of all Midwest companies.
- Includes 14 top-ranked hospital systems in the country, according to U.S. News & World Report. Among the top-ranked systems are:
- Cleveland Clinic, #2 General Hospital
- Cincinnati Children’s, #2 Children’s Hospital
- Nationwide Children’s, #7 Children’s Hospital
Expediting commercialization requires entrepreneurial spirit, capital, talent and commitment. Ohio’s healthcare industry excels in all four areas, making the state one of the world’s top locations for healthcare business development and biomedical innovation.
- #2 Overall Best Hospital (U.S. News 2018-19)
- #1 Cardiology, Heart Surgery and Urology
- 10 Specialties in Top 5 Nationally
- 220 NIH Awards Annually (Over $100 Million)
- Top 25 Ranking for Both Medical and Biomedical Engineering Schools
- #5 Electrophysiology Program
- Nation’s First Center for Heart Failure and Arrhythmia
- NCI-Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- #3 Medical School Pediatrics Program
- #2 Most NIH Funding for Emergency Medicine Research
- #3 Best Children’s Hospital in the U.S.
- Nationally Ranked in 10 Specialties
- 7 Specialties in Top 5 Nationally
- #2 NIH-Funded Pediatric Research Nationally
- #7 Best Children’s Hospital in the U.S.
- 6 Specialties in Top 10 Nationally
- #6 NIH-Funded Pediatric Research Nationally